Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 14:49:37 -0500
Dear List Administrator,

        We are all becoming aware of how the Internet and
other new technologies are transforming science education by
 providing students with "virtual laboratories" to experience
science for themselves. Students and others in urban areas are
now able to travel instantly to a remote island in Alaska to visit
puffins, kittiwakes and other wildlife. On Tuesday January 19,
the Howard Hughes Medical Institute launched "Wild-Eyed Alaska,"
a new Web site that features video of these and other residents
of Alaska's Gull Island. The Pratt Museum in nearby Homer
captured the video with remote cameras controlled by students.

This innovative resource is a public-service site available to all with
an interest in wildlife, the environment, and ecology, and we would
appreciate it if you would consider making this information available
to your members.  We apologize in advance if you find this notice
 inappropriate and would appreciate it if you would e-mail us with
any suggestions at [log in to unmask]

Sincerely,

Roberta Lima and Andi McCarthy