From:
Stefan Sommer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 14:05:14 -0600
At the Natural Heritage Center we have used large numbers of students who receive credit for their work experience with us. Generally these credits are allocated as "Independent Problems" or "Internship" credits depending on the Dept. they come from. We have involved students from
the Dept. of Biological Sciences, Fine Arts, Graphic Arts & Print Media, Geosciences, and Computer Sciences.
     We generally contact the professor whose work is in the subject area we are interested in and this professor helps us to identify students with the appropriate skills and interests. If you do not know the professors then you will want to contact the Dept. Chair who knows their
expertise and interests. The key is to build working relationships with those faculty who are near to your interests. These faculty can then become a pipeline for students coming to your museum and they will need to oversee the student projects/work in some way.

     I hope this helps!

     Stefan

Dr. Stefan Sommer, Director
Natural Heritage Center
Idaho State University
Campus Box 8044
Pocatello, Idaho  83209

[VOICE]    (208) 282-5841
[FAX]        (208) 282-5960
[E-MAIL]   [log in to unmask]
[URL's]      http://www.NaturalHeritageCenter.org
                  http://imnh.isu.edu/digitalatlas

Only after the last tree has been cut down,
only after the last river has been poisoned,
only after the last fish has been caught,
only then will you find that money can not be eaten.
        CREE INDIAN PROPHECY.