From:
Phyllis Oppenheim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 10:32:27 -0700
Hi listers,

I am wondering if carpet on the floor of a collection work area is good or bad. I am being encouraged to do it.

I have a large work table  4'x8' that is padded and covered, the floor is concrete slab. I have resisted for years covering the floor because of the problem of carpet indentation. The table is on casters and the work area is so small that I very often have to move the table to get from one side to the other. My concern is for objects sitting on the table, such as round bottomed pots. If there is an indention in the carpet the table will not move smoothly when I start to move it and I am afraid if, for instance, there is a crack in a pot, seen or unseen, the jerking motion may cause the crack to increase. Or cause the pot to roll.

Am I being overly cautious, which I have been accused of many times. I do agree there is a danger of breaking something if it falls on the floor, but I have been at this for 20 years and haven't broken any thing in our collection yet. (to the God's of collections this is not a statement of bragging - just a fact.:-):-)  )

Thank you for your help,

Phyllis