From:
Melissa A Washburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Sep 1999 10:18:55 -0500
I have been surprised at the lack of discussion on this list about the
goings-on in NY; usually current events are addressed in a pretty timely
fashion.  In any case, I too would be interested to hear if there's been
any move on the part of other museums to address the issue, and agree with
Mr. Baron's posting which stated that it seems mainly a political move and
an abuse of power on the part of the Mayor.  I have sent a letter via
email (and will probably follow up via snail mail if matters continue,
knowing the lack of seriousness with which email petitions are regarded).
People who WANT to see this work support the institution with their taxes
too (and a number of things that I do not approve of are supported with
tax money; that is the price we pay for the system we have).  The legal
precedent is in the museum's favor, and so now the taxpayers, instead of
having to fund "obscene" art will instead be funding Giuliani's legal team
if this goes to court.  I know where I'd rather have my money go!

        *** Melissa Washburn ***
         Promotions Coordinator
    IU Office of Musical Attractions
             Sycamore 146