From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Oct 1998 16:04:29 -0400
The material is in fairly wide use but we have no evidence that it would be
strong enough to stabilize a sill beam or any other wood that supports heavy
weight.

We have replaced sill logs, where needed, with new hand hewn logs just to be
sure they will support the structure in years to come.  It is necessary to
jack up the building a bit, and takes a few days, but the result is both
safe and attractive.

On recommendation of log building conservators, we have used Abatron to
stabilize deteriorating logs when it appears safe to do so.   Our log
structures date from 1801 to 1882, most of them before 1850.

Ross Weeks Jr.
Historic Crab Orchard Museum
Tazewell VA