From:
Robin Le Van <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 15:38:54 -0600
Dear John:

I was delighted to hear of your challenge this afternoon. I, too, served as
the director of a small 501 (c)(3) museum affiliated (and housed on a
separate floor) by a for profit professional association. Prior to my
tenure, the museum had been treated as a repository for the associations'
historical artifacts, uncatagloued and unregistered. A seventy year
collection was stored in a) a wet basement b)an easily penetrated storage
room c)in the private offices of staff!

I encountered an identical problem with the rotating board, none of whom had
any museum background. As a free standing 501 (c) (3), we had our own
mission statement, policies and procedures, which were introduced gradually
and approved by the board. There was little understanding of the need for a
proper accession policy. Ownership and the potential for theft were the
deciding factors in finally getting the majority of the collection back into
the museum and getting artifacts properly accessioned. I inventoried the
entire unregistered section of the collection and the executive director of
the parent organization signed off as "found in collection".

The parent organizations' board clearly harbored the impression that the
mission of the museum was to store their friends' artifacts (unrelated to
the mission of the museum) and be grateful for the privilege. We all know of
horror stories where major fiscal donors were involved in such accessions.
These were unrelated and did not involve any donation. This practice ended
abruptly with my arrival.

My attempts at educating the board regarding responsibility for collections
care, storage and interpretation went largely unheeded until I attended a
training at the Smithsonian. Suddenly, I was the voice of authority. The
board finally saw the need to respect the collections storage area,
exhibition space and observe best practices (well, improve in this area,
anyway).

I would recommend that you invite a fellow professional in to speak with
your board in a training session at a board meeting. Often, a new voice
stating our old objectives lends a fresh perspective.

I hope this has been of some help.

Robin Le Van