Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 12:10:20 -0400
Laura,

I agree with you--don't accession copy prints from your original negatives.
Cape Fear Museum has a Copy Print file cabinet where they are stored under
the original accession number but they are not, repeat, not part of the
collection.  Our collections management program, Re:discovery, allows us to
note if a copy print is available.  As for not accessioning photos since
they are "copied" from the original negative--what if the donation
consisted of photos only?  Of course you are going to accession the photos
as artifacts.  After all, by the time most photos get to us, the negatives
are long gone anyway.  In the past when we have received both negative and
print we accessioned the combination as "A" and "B" with the print being
"B."  In the past few years we have begun to accession only the negative
and store the print in the Copy Print file cabinet.  If you have any other
questions for me, please e-mail me or call at the number below.

Good luck,

Tim

Timothy S. Bottoms
Museum Registrar
Cape Fear Museum
814 Market Street
Wilmington, North Carolina  28401-4731
910.341.4350 x 3011
910.341.4037 (fax)

                      Laura Hortz
                      <[log in to unmask]        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      >                          cc:       (bcc: archive)
                      Sent by: Museum            Subject:  copies of photos
                      discussion list
                      .LSOFT.COM>

                      08/15/2002 11:36 AM
                      Please respond to
                      Museum discussion
                      list

Hello all,

First I would like to thank everyone for all of their help with some
questions about textiles that I had a couple of weeks ago.

I hope you all will be nice enough to help me out again with another
question...

There is a debate occurring between the director of my institution and
myself.  By the way, the director had previously held the position that I
am
now in and had a part in what I believe to be the issue.

That said, the museum's collection contains many photographic negatives.
In
the past, print copies of those negatives had been made for use in
exhibitions or for service requests.  However, after the photographic print
was made it was then accessioned into the collection.  So, currently we
have
a negative with one number and a print of that negative with another
number.
  In some cases both the print and the negative were given the same number.

I personally don't think that the prints should be accessioned at all but
should be put in a reference file for future use.  However, the director
says that they are valid as collections items and that if you follow my
argument then we shouldn't accession any photographic prints at all and
only
negatives.  Since, he says, in actuality all photographic prints are
essentially copies from a negative.

I understand the merits of his argument but was wondering if anybody had
any
thoughts or has faced a similar situation. (I won't be offended if you take
his side!)  Also, does anyone know of any printed sources that deal with
these issues?

Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance.
Laura L. Hortz
Curator of Collections
Siouxland Heritage Museums
Sioux Falls, SD