From:
"Michael A. Mares" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jun 2005 10:26:23 -0500
>Is there a rule-of-thumb about the amount of operating reserve funds
>a museum should hold over from year to year? A year's budget? Six
>months? Less? More? Is there a legal limit on how much you can carry
>over? Does it matter if you also have capital and endowment reserves?

You need to check on what the rules are for carryover of funds with
your parent agency. If it's a government agency (county, city,
state), there may not be a way to carry funds forward.

There is also the risk that you will be told it is OK to carry money
forward and it will magically disappear before the next fiscal year
due to "other needs", a fiscal "crisis", a change in administration
or bureaucrat (i.e., the person who said OK leaves, retires, quits,
dies and their replacement does not honor the agreement). Thus,
carrying funds forward can be risky.

IF you can carry forward with a good likelihood of keeping your
funds, a reserve is a VERY good thing to have. Certainly a 5-10%
reserve of your total budget would be ideal, though one cannot always
keep that amount lying around and if you do, higher administrators
could say apparently you do not need the budget you have anyway and
cut your budget.

This is why most people will spend their year-end funds. In my
museum, we were generally able to carry forward funds from year to
year in response to a state regulation that was designed to avoid the
sudden "buy anything" frenzy at the end of the fiscal year. One year
we lost the money though, which makes one very wary of carrying
forward too much.

If you have things that are vital to the museum, buy them with the
money that you have in hand. Put aside at least some portion for a
future reserve if you can carry funds forward and then hope that the
money shows up in next year's budget.

Good luck.

--
Dr. Michael A. Mares