From:
Julie Holcomb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 11:46:28 -0600
Please excuse the cross-postings.

We are critiquing the video documentaries created for our new Civil War
museum and the question of artistic license has come up in our
discussions.  An example from the documentary probably best illustrates
our problem.  The introductory or main video is a chronological timeline
of the Civil War.  The narrative includes quotes from our collection.
For example, in a discussion of the early days of the war (1861), an
actor reads "I have seen my first real battle and hope it is my last."
The letter he is reading from, however, is from 1862.

First, have you dealt with this issue of artistic license versus
historical integrity, and if so, how did you resolve the problem?  Is
the production company's artistic license with some of the quotes a
problem?  Or am I pushing too hard on the integrity issue? I have my own
opinions, but I'd like to hear from others who have had to resolve this
problem.

My other question is directed specifically to archivists or museum
professionals working with Civil War collections.  How did you resolve
the issue of naming battles?  For example, in your labeling and any
related narrative, did you name the battle First Bull Run or First
Manassas?

Thanks in advance.  I know I'm setting myself for potentially heated
debate, but I do want your candid opinions.
Julie Holcomb

--
Julie Holcomb
College and Special Collections Archivist

Phone: 903-875-7438
Fax: 903-875-7449
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Internet:
http://www.nav.cc.tx.us/archives/index.html
http://www.nav.cc.tx.us/civilwar/index.html
http://www.nav.cc.tx.us/westernart/index.html

"History does not refer merely, or even principally, to the past.  On
the contrary, the great
force of history comes from the fact that we carry it within us, are
unconsciously
controlled by it in many ways, and history is literally present in all
that we do." James
Baldwin