Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 14:28:46 -0600
Kees,
have you considered the possibility of working in a state or multi-site facility that would need someone who possesses building/structure knowledge, capacities, etc., and would understand maint. demands, accomodation and so forth?  i would think a state parks or state hist. sites dept/div.
would be able to use and appreciate a background like yours sounds.  however, i don't know that "appreciate " is a word that is used too much in large-scale (or  even small) government.  what about contacting some of the arch. firms that design museums - pos. team member?  keep thinking
creatively and looking - you'll chance upon it sooner or later and GOOD LUCK!
linn

Kees Stahl wrote:

> Dear World,
>
> One's happy professional life seems determined by an odd balance between
> desire, obligation, proficiency, and compensation -- what one wants to do;
> what one feels they should be doing; what one is circumstantially capable of
> doing; and what one receives for doing it (fiscal benefit, self-esteem , etc.)
>
> That said, could anyone suggest how an architecture-trained facilities
> professional currently working for a multi-national corporation might try to
> break into the "museum facilities management" business?  What are the
> drawbacks of the profession, besides fiscal compensation?
>
> Years ago, I studied architecture at the Cooper Union in New York City.
> Fairly soon after graduation, for lack of the poetic wherewithal to defend my
> actions any differently, I backed into facilities management "when money got
> tight."
>
> Seven years later, I now live in Washington DC and I'm trying to somehow
> bring my professional existence more closely in tune with personal interests
> that have been uncomfortabley relegated to "pursuits outside the office".
>
> Museum facilities management seems to offer the "happy professional life" I
> seek -- somewhat of an architecture and facilities management hybrid that
> combines the architect's appreciation for the arts and sciences with the
> facility manager's knack for problem solving and project management.  (What
> the institution of the museum offers to our collective societal heritage, and
> the pride one might gain from associating one's self with such an honorable
> task, goes without saying in this particular email.)
>
> Any ideas?  All responses are most certainly welcome.
>
> Regards,
>
> Kees Stahl
> Assistant Vice President, Facilities Coordinator
> Citigroup Global Technology Infrastructure

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ museum-l.html. You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] The body of the message should read "help" (without the quotes).

> [log in to unmask] The body of the message should read "Signoff
> Museum-L" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).