From:
Roger Wulff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 14:16:53 -0500
Dear Ms. Brown and Fellow Colleagues:

Since your request for more information about a Museum Protection Survey
has elicited a responce from the Upper Midwest Conservation Association,
I thought I would respond to your request through the Museum-L.

There may be people on this list who do not know what such a Survey is
and the areas it examines - especially since Museum Protection Surveys
are almost always Confidential in nature.

A Museum Protection Survey is usually an initial two-three day on-site
survey of a Cultural Institution which examines all aspects of:
security, fire protection, safety, emergency/disaster
planning/prepardness, and can also include the area of facilities
management.  The Survey will also examine - in detail - any specific
concerns the Trustees, Director or Staff may have within these areas -
such as Security Officer Operations, Customer Service and Training.

This survey is conducted by an individual who is well experienced in the
above areas within the context of Cultural Institutions (not warehouses
or manufacturing facilities) and who will be objective in conducting the
survey/recommending improvements (not affiliated with any specific
security or fire protection product, service or system).

Like the Conservation Survey, the final product or "Deliverable" of a
Museum Protection Survey will be a final confidential written report to
the Director or Trustees of the Institution which ourlines the findings
of the survey and makes very specific recommendations for improvement in
the protection of the public, staff, facility and collections.

Ms. Brown, if you respond to me with your telephone number, I will call
you with additional confidential information.

Kind Regards

Roger Wulff
(202) 462-6176

Visit our NEW "ONLINE" MUSEUM BOOKSTORE AND
TREAT YOURSELF TO A BOOK - VISIT OUR NEW "ONLINE"
INTERNATIONAL CRAFT SHOP AND ASSIST THE CULTURES
WHICH PRODUCED THOSE OBJECTS

at:     http://www.MuseumServicesIntl.org

Museum Services International is a non-profit organization which
provides services in all areas of the planning and development of
cultural institutions and museums - especially in the new area of
"Economuseology."