From:
Julia Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 1994 09:39:25 -0400
First a disclaimer: I know next to nothing about natural history
collections, so I may not be discribing the problem correctly, but I
promised to try to track down some help!
        A new science museum is starting up at the University of Maine at
Presque Isle.  They are using collections that were already in existence,
either in private hands or in a now-defunct natural history museum in
another part of the state.  We don't know exactly how old many of the
specimens are, which means we don't know which processes were used in
preserving them.
        The current most urgent need for conservation is a leatherback
turtle specimen.  It measures approximately 5'x4', and is reputed to be
from the 19th century.  There are cracks in the carapace, the stuffing
(looks like straw to me) is starting to work its way out through the
edges of the feet, and the head and some other parts of the body look as
if they were varnished or painted with a very shiney black substance that
does not look as if it belongs on the turtle.  The professor in charge of
the project does not want to do further damage to the specimen, either
through improper treatment or further neglect (the collection had been in
poor storage conditions for a while), but he would like to provide basic
conservation so that the turtle can be displayed.  Does anyone out there
have basic general suggestions?  Whom should he contact?  ( As always with
a new, very small museum, the budget is practically nonexistent.)
        Thanks for any help you can provide!
--Julia Hunter, Manager
Cultural Resources Information Center
Maine State Museum