From:
Eileen Mak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 1995 18:06:55 -0700
Nigel,

If I might add to Barbara Winter's suggestion: Linda Hutcheon in her book
_Irony's Edge: The Theory and Politics of Irony_ (Routledge, 1994)
discussed the ROM exhibit "Into the Heart of Africa" (thanks to whoever
it was who corrected me on this one). Her chapter seven, "The End(s) of
Irony: The Politics of Appropriateness" discussed the exhibit in terms of
its use of irony. She points out that irony is a trope which has been
used successfully by feminist and gay and lesbian scholars among others
as a "radical diversion from the dominant ideology." However, the trope
did not work in the ROM's exhibit. She points to some flaws in the
exhibit itself which were part of the problem but then begins to question
whether irony was and is an appropriate trope to use anymore. It is a
very good discussion and a nice critique of the exhibit. Hutcheon also
has an extensive bibliography which includes what I suspect are pretty
well all of the published sources on the exhibit.

A student at the University of Toronto wrote her MA thesis on the
exhibit. The Uof T does not, I think, lend theses, but someone at the ROM
may be able to get you a copy if you are interested. Grant McCracken, of
the ROM's ethnology division has been on this list in the past, as has
Julia Matthews, the ROM's head librarian but I do not know whether they
are monitoring this discussion. Either of them may be able to
help you or could probably put you in touch with someone who can. I have
Julia's email address if you are interested.

Hope this helps.

Eileen Mak

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Eileen Mak         |  With a little monetary incentive and
Dept. of History   |  some mental antacids, Mass Culture America
UBC                |        can consume anything.
[log in to unmask]  | Barry Alfonso, "The Beat Generation," 1992
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX