From:
Edward Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 15:16:31 -0500
In 1995 the Federal Reserve Bank in Boston sponsored a symposium on the
economic impact of gambling.  They have just recently issued a monograph
based on the papers presented at that meeting.  The three session headings
were: Impact on the local economy; Impact on tax revenues; and Social
costs.  I have received a copy but have not had a chance to read it;
reviewing the table of contents it looked like an even-handed report, but
focused on the New England economy.

My copy came from the R.I. State Council of Churches, who oppose the spread
of gambling, so I'm supposing that it's conclusions were negative on the
whole.

I'd cite it properly if I had it in my hands, but I've already loaned it to
two people.  I will provide source information in a future posting.

Edward

Edward Baker
Supervisor of Interpretation
Mystic Seaport Museum