From:
Shannon Lindridge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 May 2005 12:35:24 -0400
We have what I believe to be a whale tooth with scrimshaw all over it as
well, however, our tooth appears to have the center carved out and the item
number has been placed inside. When I have been in doubt about whether or
not to number an object, in your case a tooth with really no good place, I
do not place a number on the artifact.  If possible I tag the item, or place
in a archival plastic bag, and make sure the box is clearly labeled.  Check
Light Impressions, Gaylord and Talas for archival storage boxes and bags.
Another solution, which is a new process for me, is to print the accession
number in very small font on a piece of acid free paper and use B-72 to
attach the label to the inside of the tooth.  I would check with a
conservator about using B-72 on a porous surface like a tooth, or maybe one
of the other Museum_L members could chime in on this.

As far as numbering the tin, I would place the number on the underside of
the lid and on the bottom of the tin. Regarding the actual accession number,
our institution follows Museum Registration Methods by AAM guidelines of
placing an "A" and "B" after the accession number when dealing with several
parts which make up one artifact.

In general object ID numbers are placed in the most inconspicuous place on
the artifact.

Shannon

from generation to generation
The History Center in Tompkins County
Shannon Lindridge, Collections Manager
401 East State Street, Suite 100, Ithaca, NY 14850
607.273.8284 ext.7 (FAX) 607.273.6107
www.TheHistoryCenter.net <http://www.thehistorycenter.net/>
email address: [log in to unmask]