From:
"Don N. Hagist" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 22:28:34 -0500
The answers to all of these questions (and more!) can be
found in the Brigade Dispatch, the Brigade's quarterly
publication.
A review of "Belonging to the Army" appears in Volume 27
No. 1 (Spring 1997).  A copy of this review happens to be
on my web site; go to
http://www3.edgenet.net/dhagist/mayer.html
I strongly recommend this book to everyone - and not just
because I sell it (for a better price than Barnes & Noble, by
the way).  The book is very well researched and annotated,
and gives extensive details on all types of non-combatants;
not just soldiers' wives, but waggoners, sutlers, artificers,
hospital personnel, etc.  The information is taken almost
exclusively from primary sources, and it is very well annotated
so that you can pursue the information in more detail.
The book is focused on the American army, but includes a
lot about other armies of the period.  It is an excellent in-depth
look at how armies of the era worked, beyond the soldiers in
the line.
As for women in the British army, the best single source is
again the Brigade Dispatch.  Volumes 24 Nos. 3 & 4 and
25 Nos. 1 & 2 contain a four-part article called "The Women
of the British Army", which goes into great depth on numbers
of women with regiments, their occupations, living conditions,
clothing, activities, etc.  Some of the subsequent issues have
additional notes; indeed, almost every issue since Volume
23 has something about army women.  Vols. 23 No. 4 and
24 Nos. 1 & 2 have a three-part series about American army
women; Vol. 25 No. 3 covers women in the French army in
American (of whom there were but few); Vol. 25 No. 4 begins
a three-part series on German army women; and after that is
a two-part series on Loyalist women.
Back issues of the Brigade Dispatch are available; go to
http://www3.brigade.org for details.
There are a few other books worth considering, but none which
go into the kind of detail that reenactors need (the articles above,
on the other hand, are written specifically with reenactors in mind).
See a few on my web site at
http://www3.edgenet.net/dhagist/people.html
My apologies for the blatant advertising, but this is the best
place to get the information.

--
Don N. Hagist, 22d. Regt. F.; [log in to unmask]
An excellent selection of books on the Revolutionary War