From:
Paul Koenig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 2010 07:12:17 -0800
From the perspective of your mission, which aspect of the photograph is essential to advancing your research/education goals: the physicality of the print or the image contained within.

The problem becomes great with photography which is created in a multi-step process and is inherently reproducible. With images and datasets that are created digitally, the notions of original and reproduction fall apart completely.

My instinct is to accession the scans noting the scanning as part of he provenance.

The question I would ask is: Is the physicality of an object an artifact of a particular time/place/provenance in the eyes of your mission or is it essentially "crating" that delivers intangible information?

- Paul Koenig