From:
Tongariki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 1997 03:31:38 GMT
Here's my two cents for wat it's worth... I worked for a small historical
society on the Arizona/Mexico border for 3 years.  Among my duties was the
training of volunteers, docents, community service workers (probation),
and interns.  The docents were mostly wealthy recently retired new-comers
to the area.  The volunteers were mostly middle-class adults from the US
community.  The interns were white college students from the mid-west.
The community service workers were mostly Hispanic youths from both sides
of the border.  It was one of the most exhausting and mind expanding
things I have ever been through.  Although I left 2 years ago I still
maintain a connection to my bilingual/bicultural friends.  I must point
out that while I was in that place, I was the minority:  I started out
with no Spanish speaking ability, I was not even partly Hispanic, I was
college educated, I was not Catholic, etc., etc.  Still I connected with
those people that I could connect with and I'm proud to have exposed more
than a dozen Hispanic young people to the joy of museum work.  I hope I
continue to have the opportunity to find the common thread with people who
"appear" to be different.