From:
Claire Pillsbury <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 1996 08:32:39 -0800
Just to correct a misconception about high school student Explainers at the
Exploratorium, they are not volunteers (as suggested in the message below).

>. . .volunteerism is included in our publications catalog. At
>this time, the Association of Science-Technology Centers offers
>several books concerning volunteerism including . . . When the Right
>Answer is a Question: Students as Explainers at the Exploratorium by Ellen
>Klages.

Explainers are paid minimum wage - the same as they would receive for any
other part time or summer job at McDonalds or whatever other teen job
options exist.
 An important advantage of paying the high school age Explainers is makes
it  possible to get a lot more diversity in the group (kids from lower
income families etc) as well as they get real experience in the work world;
for many it's their first job.
There are three hiring periods per year (four months each) - Fall Spring
and summer.
Kids are recruited by their local high school guidance counselors and word
of mouth from other kids.  All are interviewed and the main criteria for
getting the job is that they are willing to learn about all the exhibits
and phenomena and accept the challenge of dealing with visitors, talking to
people all day long.  It's a very popular job and there is keen competition
for rehiring (a few of the best explainers get rehired for a second term)
If you want to find out more - order the book from ASTC or the Exploratorium.

Claire Pillsbury
Exhibit Developer
Tech Museum of Innovation;145 West San Carlos; San Jose, CA, 95113; USA
PH 408-279-7136,        FAX 408-279-7197