From:
"Burke, Laurence M. II" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 10:20:27 -0400
Getting back to the original question:

Nick works just down the hall from me, so I gave him my response in person,
figuring that it would be reiterated by others on the list.  Since I've seen
my opinion sort of danced around but not completely repeated, here's my
original response:

The purpose of any (scholarly) citation system is to allow someone to go
back and replicate your work.  The complex listings for books, manuscripts,
magazines, newspapers, etc. in the writer's manuals establishes a formula
for presenting that information with as much detail as possible in a
reasonably compact form.  With that in mind, my response to Nick was to cite
the holding institution (or person), collection name (if applicable), and
accession or catalog number.  If the institution's policy is to identify
donors, then include that as well, otherwise, it's up to you (assuming you
have that information).  Basically, as much information as possible to allow
someone who wants to see that artifact in person to find it with a minimum
of fuss.