From:
Jenny Rebecca Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2003 13:09:56 -0500
The thread of conversation about the mice began when the query was posed
about alternatives to sticky glue traps for insects because sometimes mice
get caught in them unintentionally as well.  This is a valid concern for
some individuals, particularly on an ethical level, and as such it warrants
discussion, which is what this listserv is for.

Mr. Taylor's points about the snap traps not necessarily being useful or
humane are true and well-taken (evolutionary implications for the mice
aside), and are added to the knowledge bank along with thoughts on how to
remove mice should that be a problem and should that be a decision that an
individual or institution decides to make.  That is a decision for each
person to make separately, whether one agrees with it or not, but if one
does decide to do that it's useful to have knowledge of others' experience.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread of conversation -- it
has been useful, particularly in the sense of trying to find alternatives to
the sticky traps for insects (which drive me crazy).

Jenny Rebecca Martin, Collections Manager
The Morris Museum                      Phone: 973.971.3712
6 Normandy Heights Road                Fax: 973.538.0154
Morristown, NJ 07960                   Email [log in to unmask]