From:
Jodi Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 1997 13:41:05 -0500
Hey folks,

     A collection of cartoon printing plates recently surfaced in my museum
collection. The artist, Jay N. "Ding" Darling (1872-1962) was a nationally
syndicated political cartoonist with the Des Moines (IA) Register from 1906
until 1949, winning two Pulitzer Prizes and numerous other awards for his
work.
     According to a 1923 inventory of donors there are 2,343 plates
@1917-1923 which have been stored in paper envelopes and wood crates since
1923.
        My initial plan when I stumbled across the crates was to remove the plates
from the envelopes, photocopy the image printed on the envelope, remove the
surface dirt and re-house the plates in new archival envelopes and boxes.
Given the number of plates this seemed a time-consuming but relatively
simple task.  As you might guess, the task is still time-consuming but not
simple anymore.
        We think the plates are zinc with a concentration of lead and some are
degrading.  The envelopes are quite brittle and covered with dust, coal
soot and possibly asbestos.  According to information received from the
Conservators discussion list, to remove the surface dirt will require
respirators, suction, and disposal of hazardous materials. We must be very
careful not to contaminate ourselves or the work area.
        While these plates and printed envelopes may be the only known images of
the most of these cartoons, they do not exist in a vacuum.  The publication
information and images printed on the envelopes correspond to a card
catalog prepared in the 1930s of 1940s of over 4000 image descriptions. I
do not know where the other plates are, nor do I know the location of the
original drawings or proofs.  My goal is to inventory and catalogue the
plates then match plate and printed image to the descriptions in the card
catalog.  To do this I must handle the plates and envelopes. Knowing what's
involved, I am reluctant to endanger my health or that of my colleagues.
Gone are the days of inventory and cataloguing older collections when
blowing my nose at the end of the day yielded what appeared to be mud.  At
the same time I am reluctant to give up on saving these artifacts and
associated information.  These images are unique and every professional
fiber of my being insists that the information must be saved.  Also,

        So, friends, I'm asking your advice on a number of issues:
                a.  Thoughts on how to preserve the printing plates
                b.  Thoughts on how to extract the information without endangering                      anyone
                c.  Thoughts on where we as museum professionals draw the line when                     it
comes to collecting/preserving hazardous materials

Sorry for any cross-postings, and TIA

Jodi Evans
Registrar
State Historical Society of Iowa