From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Dec 1996 22:18:14 +0000
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
[log in to unmask] writes
>As for several sets of labels in an exhibit to accommodate people reading at
>different heights (or for whatever reason), this is sometimes unsatisfactory
>from the standpoint of cluttered design, but I like the idea of supplementary
>handouts, which are eminently doable in this age of computers and copiers, if
>your printing budget is limited.  The printed booklets in various languages

This prompts some wandering thoughts on how to give museum the widest
possible choice of information ...

A useful addition, although far more expensive than a simple sheet, is
the audio tour - which can come in various versions - aimed at speakers
of different languages, of different interests, of different abilities.
At Hailes Abbey (English Heritage) one can take the 'general' tour,
tours in two languages other than English, a tour for people with
learning disabilities, or a tour for wheelchair users (which follows a
different route from the 'general' tour, but covers the same metaphoric
ground).  At Audley End (also English Heritage) I seem to remember there
being two tours - one 'art-historical' and being a 'personal guided
tour' by a previous inhabitant.  As most of the money goes in hardware,
and additional tape-masters can be added without the initial outlay
expense at a later time, it is possible to start with a general
(possibly even money-making) tour, and add on other tours as time and
money permit.

The handouts can be free, or there can be an 'honesty box' to cover the
cost of their production or a little more.  Some museums offer a choice
between buying one's own copy, or borrowing a copy.

Where sheets are to borrow, many museums laminate them - this isn't very
expensive, and does prevent the sheets from becoming dog-eared.  It is
also possible to chain a laminated copy to the wall, so that it doesn't
disappear, and can be read at any height.

The plastic boxes which are designed for putting telephone directories
by wall-hung phones are a cheap way of putting leaflets out.  It's easy
to drill through the plastic to make an anchoring point for the chains.

You can mount labels on paddles (rather like horn-books), which are
difficult for visitors to absent-mindedly pocket, but do allow visitors
to wander freely, which is an advantage in historic houses.  If you
colour-code the paddles, your visitors can quickly see the one for
'their' tour.

If your text is short, you can put it out just in large print (this is
what we did at Buckinghamshire County).  We were using A5 labels in
flip-books, and this limited the text for each object to about 20 words,
which is a really inconvenient length: more than is needed for basic
identification, provenance, date and so on, but too few for good
storytelling.  Using A4 pages (and more words) would have been better
(well, easier for me, anyway).

Another advantage of the computer-produced, photo-copied leaflet is
that, unlike a published catalogue (or tape guide), is that they can be
quickly changed in response to changing displays, topicality, visitor
feedback and so on.
--
Pat Reynolds