From:
Jennifer Rothman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 11:54:20 -0400
"Babies must remain in strollers, if one is available.  If there is no
stroller with the child please ask the parent or adult to hold on to the
child's hand, and to make sure the child does not reach out and touch
objects on display including the framed works on the wall".

The wording in the statement about holding a child's hand seems a little harsh to me.  I've seen plenty of adults touch things that were not meant to be touched. I think that a general rule about how close all visitors should be to a painting or sculpture might be more friendly.  If a parent is a certain distance from the artwork, then their child won't be able to reach.  I've always been appreciative of the tape on the floor as a guide...for both me and for the gaurd.  I feel like "how close" is a little less arbitrary that way and I also know how close I can be without making the employees of the museum uncomfortable.  Although, I guess the tape can sometimes be an eyesore in a gallery as well.