From:
Bill Sander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 1997 08:38:26 -0700
>We have a small house museum. Although it has a long association with one
>family it has been fitted out as a typical home of the period. The was
>because we lacked detail and trully wanted it to represent a typical home
>of the period.
>
>Now we have some possessions of a family member who once lived there. We
>have so few items that once belonged to the historic site in general that
>these items are all the more valuable. While I have some concerns about
>security my concern here is the display of the items. Pieces like the
>hatbox would be simple to place.
>
>The more difficult items are the books with their sentimental
>inscriptions.Placing them in the room gives them the context they would
>most likely have had in their use but does not testify to their value they
>have now attained. Their condition could easily deteriorate with guides
>handling them whist satisfying the natural curiosity of visitors. At the
>same time I did not want to place these items in a case in the period
>display rooms which I believe would look ridiculous. The only other option
>is to place them in a case in the interpretation room. My problem then is
>that these items will most likely be viewed as 'sacred objects of this
>particular family. This is not what this house museum is about.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Thanks,
>Jennifer
>****************
>Jennifer Nuske
>Port Arthur
>Australia

I'd think that allowing anyone to handle original books will destroy them
within a year. A lot can be done with a photocopy machine and parchment
colored paper. I regularly reproduce a booklet with arcane telegraphic
ciphers for our telegraph display. People like them, they're well handled,
and we have to replace them several times a year.

Bill Sander
Wells Fargo Historical Services

Forward in All Directions!