From:
Ann Mintz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2006 11:46:43 -0400
I go to New York a fair amount both for business and personal reasons  and I
always book via Orbitz, hotels.com and Travelocity. The sites allow you to
specify the part of the city where you want to look-- midtown, uptown, upper
east side, upper west side, soho, etc.  They will list cost and availability
in specific hotels with links to their websites so you can choose exactly
where you want to stay.   I have never had to pay more than $160 including
tax (room tax in NYC is very high) and have stayed in some very interesting
boutique hotels.  I have never had a bad experience doing this. If you hit a
week when demand is low for some reason, you can get even lower prices.

It's possible to get a lower rate on Priceline but you can't choose your
hotel.

Ann Mintz