From:
Karen Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 1995 06:03:47 CST
>  I strongly recommend that anyone setting up a database give serious
>  consideration to off-the-shelf database software that they customize
> themselves.  This is especially true for smaller (30,000 records) files and fo
> those who want relatively simple systems.

> Robin K. Panza, Collection Manager

First, Robin, I would dearly love to know what software you got so
badly burned with so that I can take that into consideration when
making my recommendations.

Second, you said you are using Paradox. Paradox is an extremely
powerful database engine, fully capable of automating all aspects of
museum information management needs IN THE RIGHT HANDS. Paradox is
not the proper tool for inexperienced people to use to implement complex
systems.

Third, if you do have an experienced computer person in your museum,
it can be ultimately less expensive (if you don't count that person's
time) to grow your own software in-house. However, you should make
sure that at least TWO people know exactly how the system was put
together and exactly how to make changes in cases the primary person
flys the coop. Failing this, whoever put the system together must also be willin
to accept telephone calls for help for the rest of their life.

I agree that customizing an off-the-shelf package is a good idea.
That is why I am recommending that museum people seriously consider
using customizable off-the-shelf packages intended for use in
museums (e.g., ARGUS, Regis, Star, etc.).
Karen W. Anderson, Registrar
Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum
WTAMU Box 967
Canyon, TX  79016