From:
David Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2006 17:49:53 -0500
Dear Georgen,
My gut feeling is that it is a food preparation device of some kind.  I looked in
THE COOK'S CATALOG, by Beard Glaser Wolf, Ltd., 1975 which is a good
reference for obscure items of food preparation.  It features a device that
looks like a rolling pin with grooves cut into it called a "Tutove Rolling Pin for
Puff Pastry"
According to the product literature, "it is called the magic rolling pin.  The
magic lies in the 1/8" grooves which run lengthwise on the wooden roller; the
rounded ribs separating the grooves distribute the butter evenly between the
layers as the dough is rolled and as the layers become thinner and thinner and
multiply in number with subsequent folding and rollings."
It is used to make brouchees, puff-pastry croissants, vol-au-vents, napoleons
and crust for beef Wellington.
The diameter if the cylinder is 2 1/2" and I believe that your artifact is a two
roller version of this device.  That's my best guess anyway.  Now I'm hungry :)
Sincerely,
David Ryan
Registrar
Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum