From:
Aaron Marcavitch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 11:09:32 -0700
I was just discussing this with my current employeer
today.  And I think this snip hits it on the head!

<snip>
> Like my father-in-law (who hired thousands of people
during his career) used to say: "I can hire a monkey
to do almost any job - the trick is keeping them from
fighting with the monkey in the next cage."
<snip>

After four years of college I came to this job and
thought I was going to do something great.  Well I
have (not like putting your name on a building great,
but still worthwhile) but it is in the small things.
Designing a web site for the organization, learning to
use access (GOOD LORD, learn it now!), learning to
work with the board (Something no one can teach you
except your self), learning to work with others--whom
are not your college buddies, and so on.

If you remember I posted about the PHD vs. MA thing.
Well the PHD turned me down so thats what happened
with that.  But I did want to say to everyoneone that
was participating in that, what you all said started
me thinking about things and you are probably right.
If I have this many people, plus everyone I know
saying that teaching at the college level isn't what I
should be doing (except as an adjunct for a few
classes), maybe they are right.  And I do want to make
the kind of impact that perhaps a college professor
cannot. I still do not discount doing that in the
future, but with your comments in hand, I am going to
do the best job I can be it in preservation or museum
work (I wish I had the MA now so I could apply for the
National Industrial Heritage Museum in Bethleham,
sigh).  And I guess thats all anyone can expect out of
me.

So again.  Thanks for the comments...they were great.

Aaron

=====
Aaron Marcavitch-- [log in to unmask]
Webmaster/Program Assistant