Date:
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 09:27:49 -0400
How much is the minimum necessary to pay to enter the Metropolitan Museum
of Art (in New York City, on 5th Avenue at about 81st Street) to:
  (1)  look at art, or
  (2)  use a toilet there?

ONCE CENT FEE TO LOOK AT ART?
The Met operates the Cloisters, a medieval museum in a public park in
north Manhattan (Fort Tryon).  I don't know who owns the museum.  I once
was told, by a cashier there, that the security guards would not let me
past them unless I wore a small metal pin, and that I had to pay at least
one cent to the cashier for that pin.  I paid a nickel, was given a pin
and a receipt for 5 cents, and only then was allowed past the guards.  My
purpose was to look at the art.  I had openly tried to get to the art for
free that day but was not allowed to.  The cashier's sign announces a
"donation" and I had explicitly explained that I did not want to make a
donation that day.

I was told by the cashier that at least one cent was required of me for
the small metal pin, which the guards require of anyone who seeks to walk
past them.  Does the Met have the legal right to require even one cent for
admission to the Cloisters if the purpose of admission is to see the art?

ONE DOLLAR FEE TO USE A TOILET?
Recently, someone (not me) wanted to use a toilet of the Met Museum of Art
building (on 5th Avenue).  He was told that he was required to pay one
dollar.  He paid the dollar, got a receipt for one dollar, and only then
was allowed to use a toilet.  The Met (on 5th Avenue) has a cafeteria and
a restaurant on its premises.  It is in a public park (Central Park).  Its
entry building (the imposing building used as a main entrance for the
public) is owned by the City of New York.  It gets money from the City
government.  Does the Met have the right to charge money for admission to
the Museum if the purpose is use of one of its toilets by a stranger
walking in off the street?

--
Alan J. Munn  [log in to unmask]
http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Senate/8014/