From:
"Scott D. Peters" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 2003 15:48:05 -0500
One point to consider with the firing of any weapon, black powder or
otherwise, is the safety of those around the weapon.
Forget about potential damage to the structure for a moment. But consider
where the weapon is being fired from and what's around it.
Are you firing from a point in the middle of an empty field? Are you on the
front lawn of an historic house with nothing else around? Are there other
structures in the line of fire? Are there spectators in near proximity to
the weapon?
These are all serious points to consider in the event the unlikely and
unexpected does happen.

I have experience supervising programs involving firearms demonstrations
with a major living history site located within a state park and with a
county historical society.
At the living history museum, the state park dictated safety regulations to
the point that reenactments were impossible to host. For a while we were
able to appease the state park by creating designated firing zones at two
locations within the site that met the litany of criteria we were given for
where live fire demonstrations could be held. As long as we used those two
zones, we could do live fire demonstrations at any time, so long as the park
was aware of it in advance. Both areas were roped off with the shooter(s) in
the middle of a 75 foot diameter firing zone. No one and nothing (structure
or otherwise) could be within at least 75 feet of the weapon(s) being fired.
All weapons had to be elevated prior to shooting.
The first zone was in a back corner of the site, between two structures but
with well over 100 to 700 feet from either structure. The public was kept at
least 100 feet from firing line and the weapons were fired at an elevation
of about 35-45 degrees toward a large area of woodland. Essentially shooting
over a lot of trees.
The second zone was in the heart of the site, but on a fringe that bordered
wood and marshland. The zone was set up between a stand of trees and one
structure, forming two natural barriers. The trees and the structure were
about 500+ feet apart and rope was strung between the two to form a barrier.
The forth side was a large stand of trees backed by a marsh.
The firing was done from a spot in the center of the zone and the weapons
were fired at elevation. Since this area was already elevated above the area
behind it, the weapons were essentially fired over tree with only a slight
elevation. 15 minutes prior to the actual firing demonstration, the
structure, which houses a tinshop and blacksmith's shop, was evacuated of
all personnel and guests.
In all cases, firing was done with muskets rifled muskets using blackpowder
and paper cartridges.

With the historical society, the only firing demonstrations were done at an
annual Civil War event. In this case, a 3 pounder cannon was brought in for
demonstrations. This event was not held on-site, but rather in a park
surrounded by a river on three sides. The cannon's crew was well-trained on
the weapon and limited firing to a maximum of three rounds every few hours.
This allowed ample time for the barrel to cool and be cleaned.
The cannon was on an elevated area and was fired at elevation out into the
river, well away of any structure, crowds or roadways.

In all cases, the less around the weapon the better for everyone around.
Firing any weapon in an any enclosed area, even if it's in a yard with
buildings around it, should be avoided whenever possible.
I don't remember what we were told the safety zone around a cannon had to be
at the living history site, but I cannot imaging it being less than 200-
250' feet from anything or anybody.

Scott D. Peters
"Will do history for food..."
Historically Speaking
ALHFAM -FPIPN vice-chair for trivia, errata and miscellany

"The ordinary distinctions in society are often vague, and imply no just
pre-eminence: rank and titles are
adventitious things and instead of designating merit or virtue, are
frequently the baubles of imbecility, or
the sparkling decorations of meretricious pageantry"

William Griffith, on behalf, and by order of the New-Jersey Society for
promoting the gradual Abolition
of Slavery, Twelfth Month (December) 20th, 1803