From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2007 11:46:59 -0700
Jackie,

You have the right instincts about this situation in exercising caution.

I would urge the owner to not consider aggressively "cleaning" this
painted furniture until they are examined by a knowledgable furniture
conservator. It is best to be conservative in approaching cleaning
because both the historic and monetary value of furniture can be
dramtically impacted by improper cleaning - I always like to point out
the Antiques Roadshow instance of the 18th century cherry high boy
that a woman's husband had stripped and refinished to "get rid of the
black stuff", well, that "black stuff" was the original finished that
was obliterated - and the specilaist appraiser on the roadshow told
her that the value had dropped from $250,000 to $25,000.

I think that drives the issue home with most collectors.

What is driving this desire to "clean" this painted furniture? Are
they going on exhibit? Or is it just a desire to make them look
prettier in the home?

Is the cleaning the responisiblity of the owner or your institution?

Most conservators will offer consulting and also perform examinations
and offer advice for a fairly reasonable fee. That way you would at
least have an educated opinion as to what you could do and what a
conservator should do in regards to this.

I am sure that my colleague, Marc Williams, who is one of the senior
furniture and wood artifact conservartors in the USA will have more
specific thoughts to offer on this.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey