From:
"H. Glazer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 17:57:15 -0500
Well, I am in sympathy with the original poster wanting to get off the
list (see below), not because I didn't enjoy the light-bulb jokes, but
because this is a very active list and time management becomes an issue.
I have a few suggestions:

Try "digest mode"--the day's postings are sent as a single email once a
day.  That way the the day's Museum-L posts are clearly separated from
the rest of your list of email messages, rather than distributed
throughout it, and one keystroke deletes the whole thing.  I was about
to drop off this list, too, until I switched to "digest."  Write to me
if you need the instructions, but they are in the original message that
is sent to everyone when they initially subscribe.

Or you might be able to change your email reader to sort messages by
subject (I know you can do this in Netscape).  That way, the whole
"light bulb" thread would be grouped together on your list of messages,
and you could easily highlight and delete the whole thing if you know in
advance you're not interested.

And while I'm on the subject of making this list faster to use or
download, I'd like to ask that when responding to long messages, rather
than quoting the entire thing, please spend a few seconds to delete all
but the first paragraph, or whatever portion you're really responding
to.  And put your response above, rather than below the quoted portion,
so readers can quickly see the point of your post.

Happy reading,
Helen Glazer
Exhibitions Director
Goucher College
Baltimore, MD USA

Ellen Holdorf wrote:

<< Help! Can someone please tell me how to get off this list?  I'm
spending
 20 minutes a day deleting curator light-bulb jokes.

>>>If it takes you 20 minutes to delete a days worth of listings, I have to
wonder about your computer/skills.
I happen to greatly enjoy both the serious topics, and the moments of
humor on
the List.