From:
John Martinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 16:47:36 EST
Ideas?  How about a capital campaign for a new building or wing?  Or a
fundraiser
for operation funds?  Or remodeling office space?  Or a membership drive
fundraiser
(ask your supporters)?  Or for a new and unique exhibit or artifact purchase,
or for a new
staff position, a computer system for the collection or for a $2,000,000
(starter)
endowment or scholarship fund?

Smaller ideas would be a quilt show, garage or bake sale, etc.  Or
collaborate with
your community and/or other nonprofit for a large salmon bake to raise money,
and/or a special heritage event at the museum/site.  What about the community
purchasing bricks with their name on them to put on a path in the museum's
garden,
wall or fountain?

You can also go after matching donations from community organizations, museum
grants, and state/federal/corporations.  Some even go after loans to get a
project
started and off the ground, which counts (in some cases) towards matching
funds
with some grants <<if within the grants time frame>>.

But I highly suggest the following: how about a fundraiser to help supplement
"me"
with a higher and better quality retirement?  Please send donations to ~~~~~~
And if every museum worker in the world would just sends me $1 dollar, I
should be set for a while, and I will invest the funds in a good stock plan.
I will
send you back an autograph portrait of me for your efforts!!!  <Folks, just
kidding on
this one one!!!  Don’t take that serious!!!>

Back to the serious side.  I would also suggest (if someone is not on staff)
for any
major, professional campaign to hire or contract out a quality grant writer.

Yes, it is a highly competitive and agressive field!  Those who brainstorm,
have the most
creative ideas, more organized, and most importantly "ask" or get to the
"givers" door
before the hundreds and thousands of others fund-seekers beat you
there....ends up the
winner!

You will be competing for funds with hospital, schools, and other non-museum
nonprofit organizations (and many of those obtain the funds before the purse
opens for museums).  But those museums who do sell and promote their
organization,
efforts, and campaign(s) should be successful.

Good luck!!  John Martinson, This Is The Place Heritage Park, SLC, UT