From:
Mark Janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:54:49 -0600
Carrie,

What we are all dancing around is trying not to discourage you from
engaging in a highly rewarding and interesting endeavor based on our
pitifully low salaries(in relation to the work we actually do). Nor do we
want to give you the idea that it is easy to find and step into some
positions.

There are lots of jobs out there, but it often takes some looking,
depending upon your interests and specialties. An internship is a great way
to get some of the experience you will need. Many positions are not
"entry-level" requiring significant experience to manage them effectively.
That normally can only come from time in. Museum science and museum studies
degrees are becoming much more common and even required, but there are
still plenty of opportunities that do not require that level of training.

Starting salaries in the museum field do indeed vary widely by institution,
location, and type, but they will normally feed and house you. They are
generally based on the local cost of living, so someone in New York doing
what I do will be making a lot more(I hope). Do not expect a great deal
more at the beginning. Ask for what you think will support you plus a
little, but do not be surprised if there is not a lot of negotiability in
that area.

My suggestion would be to make a few preliminary decisions, otherwise you
will be casting your net too widely. Decide on a region, museum type,
position type, etc, and focus on seeking that. If you are interested in
working in a particular institution, then introduce yourself and form a
relationship, whether they are advertising a position or not. If they know
you are there, and are interested, something might be made available. That
certainly does not mean you should not apply to everything that interests
you, but you will have more success if you direct the thrust of your search
at specific targets.

Also, if you are open to it, and able to do so, multiple internships are
also valuable as a means of developing a broader background. Paid
internships are often considered of a higher standing than volunteership,
although both are useful.

I guess the thrust of that museum commercial is that you should not base
your estimation of a job on its salary level(unless it will not support
you), and you should try to get a sense for what direction you would like
to take in the field. That knowledge alone will be inpressive to employers,
and will help you weed out positions you might not find rewarding or
enjoyable.

Good luck.

Mark Janzen
Registrar/Collections Manager
Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art
Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection
Wichita State University
(316)978-5850

             Carrie Barnett
             <sfgiantfan74@YAH
             OO.COM>                                                    To
             Sent by: Museum           [log in to unmask]
             discussion list                                            cc
             SE.LSOFT.COM>                                         Subject
                                       starting salary

             02/10/2004 11:19
             PM

             Please respond to
             Museum discussion
                   list
               SE.LSOFT.COM>

As a Senior in Art History I am beginning the always fun job search
routine.  I was
wondering if there was anyone who could give me some idea of starting
salaries in
the museum industry.  I will have a BA and have done a museum based
internship.  I
would be interested in working with the registrar or as an assistant to a
curator.  I
also have some experience with children.  Any ideas??  I want to be able to
go into
interviews with some idea of what to ask for in terms of salary.  Also, if
anyone knows
of any job openings that would be great as well.
Thanks, Carrie Barnett

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).