From:
Richard Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 1996 09:37:57 -0800

> >you could start by addressing your request for donations to BOTH genders,
> >rather than just'gentlemen'.
> >
> I was always under the impression that there were two sexes and three
> genders: masculine, feminine and neuter.  I have the feeling that the
> neuters are not getting the recognition they well deserve.

There are at least two sexes (more if you observe the variety of
combinations of XXY, XXXX, etc.) and many more genders, depending upon
your cultural site - e.g., one Native American tribe's "benache."
The term of address in a letter is not, however, addressed to a gender, but
to an unknown or unspecified person or people.
And yes, I know, this is all light and in good fun, not a serious
disagreement . . .

R Perry Univ California, San Diego