From:
Julia Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 2005 17:17:12 -0500
The format was as follows (if I am recalling correctly):

Object name/title  (18 pt type)
Artist or culture name (18 pt type)
Country/region of origin, date  (18 pt type)
Media; technique if applicable (16 pt type)
Donor credit; accession number (10 or 12 pt type)

Then any kind of interpretive information followed the identification
information.

The typical donor credit line was like one of these:

Anonymous Gift, 70.22
Gift of William Gotbucks, 70.22
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. William Gotbucks, 70.22
Gift of William and Sadie Gotbucks, 70.22
Gotbucks Family gift, 70.22 (this was if the donor wanted to cram a lot
of names onto the credit line)
Gotbucks purchase fund, 70.22 (this was if the donor had endowed money
for the museum to use for purchases)
Promised gift of William Gotbucks, L70.22  (this was for arrangements
when the donor would give a part of the gift over a period of years)
Lent by William Gotbucks (this was when it was on temporary loan for a
specific exhibition)

The museum I worked for discouraged long-term indefinite loans and tried
very hard to make them into promised gifts.  There were one or two
donors who were stubborn about calling them loans--these were very, um,
traditional donors who insisted on having them credited as "Gotbucks
collection" and we catalogued them as LXX.yyy to indicate that they were
not museum property.

Julia Muney Moore
Public Art Administrator
Blackburn Architects, Indianapolis, IN