From:
Amandine PEQUIGNOT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2006 10:26:51 +0200
Arsenical soap (invented by Jean-Baptiste Bécoeur) was used since 1750'
in France to prepare skin for taxidermy specimens...
There is different techniques to indenty arsenic and also mercury (which
was used too for tanning) such as XRF, arsenical spots tests...

You should look for pdf on www.spnhc.com
Sirois J., 2001, The Analysis of Museum objects for the Presence of
Arsenic and Mercury : non-destructive Analysis and Sample Analysis,
Collection Forum, 16, 65-75
Sirois J.and Sansoucy G.2001, Analysis of Museum Objects for Hazardous
Pesticide Rsidues : A Guide to Techniques, Collection Forum, 17, 49-66

Odegaard, Nancy
</newbk_searchresult.asp?qtype=author&qsearch=Odegaard%2C+Nancy>;
Sadongei, Alyce
</newbk_searchresult.asp?qtype=author&qsearch=Sadongei%2C+Alyce>; Boyer,
Leslie V. (CON)
</newbk_searchresult.asp?qtype=author&qsearch=Boyer%2C+Leslie+V%2E>;
Burroughts, G. Edwards (CON)
</newbk_searchresult.asp?qtype=author&qsearch=Burroughts%2C+G%2E+Edwards>;
Huber, M. J. E. (CON)Old Poisons, New Problems: A Museum Resource For
Managing Contaminated Cultural Materials.
</newbk_searchresult.asp?qtype=author&qsearch=Huber%2C+M%2E+J%2E+E%2E>

Dr Amandine Péquignot, PhD
Muséum National d'Histoire Naturelle
Centre de Recherches sur la Conservation des Documents Graphiques
USM701-FRE2743
Département « Collection d’histoire naturelle »
36 rue Geoffroy Saint-Hilaire
75005 Paris
FRANCE
Tel: ++ 33 (0)1 40 79 53 14