From:
Jack Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 1996 01:35:28 -0700
I have some sympathy for Dave Harvey's viewpoint, with caveats.

During the mid-70's, when I was a graduate student, one of my professors
raised an important issue: are collections safer in libraries/museums,
where they are subject to immediate loss in the event of fire/flood/war
(witness the Library at Alexandria in the past, or libraries and museums
in europe during the wars of the 20th century in our time; the temples in
Cambodia; Tibet under the Chinese....), or dispersed in private hands.

We were not able to resolve this question in class, and I have not
resolved it to my own safisfaction during the ensuing years.

In the course of building my conservation practice I have joined a number
of professional organizations.  If a complete run of an organization's
journal and/or newsletter was available, I purchased it.  The public and
university libraries in my geographical area did not (and do not) have
many of the texts which I need for my professional development, so I _took
it upon myself_ (italics added) to build a conservation reference
collection.

By 1986 it was extensive enough that I published a bibliography to the
collection.  Now, ten years later, the collection exceeds 4,000 volumes,
plus serials.

Some of my colleagues have told me that such a collection has no business
being in private hands, yet some of my books are discards from
institutions which purport to support graduate conservation training
programs, and they are in good condition (these are texts which are
germane to graduate conservation training programs for their data, not as
exemplars of paper/binding, etc.)

While I am not certain that such a collection belongs in private hands,
they were not stolen, and they were generally not otherwise available.

As to their care, I repair them as needed (not as they need, but as I need
them, and in this regard I conform to library/museum standards of
practice.)

As to the eventual disposition of the collection, there is a letter in the
family safe deposit box which suggests that an initial attempt be made to
sell the collection as a collection.  If that cannot be done in a
reasonable amount of time (that's for the heirs and assigns to determine)
then they can let the cherry pickers in.

But circumstances may work against me, as has happened with Mr. Gertler,
and his avaiation archives.  Or the New York Historical Society.

Just a thought.

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Lab
Portland, OR

(whose reference collection is available to anyone.  On site.)