From:
Allison Ruppert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 10:04:48 -0400
Our members pay an annual fee and receive various benefits in return.
Although this is a quid pro quo-type of relationship, many people of lesser
means view this as their philanthropic contribution, and in a sense, it is.
In reality, most memberships cost the organization about $30 (considering
the cost of any publications, mailings, etc.) and the average membership
rate is $50. The majority of the membership gift is tax-deductible as well.
    Once a healthy relaionship is established with a member, often they will
become donors- whether it be through acquisitions, annual giving,
sponsorship or endowment (to name a few options). Our members receive an
annual gift appeal, as well, which asks for an additional gift to the
general fund. Although the return is much smaller, many members take part in
this appeal and do not receive any benefits in return.
    I would be happy to discuss this further, if needed, on or off list.
Good luck, Wendy.
~Allison Ruppert

Allison M. Ruppert
Membership Coordinator
Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania
1212 Smallman Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222-4200
Telephone: (412) 454-6321
Facsimile: (412) 454-6031