From:
John Martinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 May 1996 19:33:00 PDT
I asked earlier how many museums are there in the USA &
receiving excellent replies.  The answer, about 8200 (+)
museums (1989 "Museum Count" AAM report).  That
breaks down to 55% historic sites/musuems; 15% art
museums and 15% science related.  The remaining 15%
are speciality museums.

Out of that is the puzzeling questions -- how many of
the 8200 (+) are totally not-for-profit; private or public?
How many are really "small" museums?  Does the various
funding make you small, medium or large?

How many artifacts (is there a limit?) before you
are no longer a "small" museum?  25,000, 150,000
a million artifacts? How large can your budget go
before you are no longer a "small" musuem?  Would
a 2 to 10 million dollar budget be a small museum?

AAM states there must be so many paid, professional
staff?  But how many employees brings the museum into a "larger"
museum status?  How many visitors do "small" museums
have in relationship to large, does attendance determine
small museums?  Does the population the museum serves?

Our budget is approximately $150,000 to $180,000.  Two
full-time staff, 3 part-time/seasonal. 27,000 artifacts.
The museum serves a small, rural community of about
60,000, with the nearest large city about 42 miles away.
19,000 to 22,000 annual visitors.  A nonprofit, no local
support, no state support, no federal support (except a
few small grants). A $3.00 gate admission is charged,
and rely on donations, store sales, and memorials.

I believe population base, budget, number of artifacts,
employees, funding status, etc. determines if you are a
small or large museum.  This would also include endowments,
if a museum had 15 million (+), would it be a small museum?
If a museum has not capital investments, no collection these
factors may determine what a "small" museum really is.
These are simply questions and a survey.  Opinions are
welcome.  Thanks

John Martinson
Work: Fort Walla Walla Museum
755 Myra Rd