From:
Christine Mouw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 15:12:49 -0500
This reminds me of an exhibit we opened last spring.  We used real
prairie grass in the exhibit and placed it where visitors could easily touch
it.  We were concerned about the stability of the tiny seed pods, etc. and
so we sprayed it all with a good dose of cheap hair spray, and let it dry
before putting it out.  We then put up small signs that said "DO NOT
TOUCH the grass, it has been chemically treated" to protect people who
might be allergic to the dried lacquer.  One woman apparently couldn't
resist touching it anyway and when she finished touring the exhibit,
complained that she was itching, and that the toxic chemical we used
must be causing it.  When we told her it was AquaNet hair spray, she
became very quite, because it was very apparent that she had used
quite a bit of a similar product that morning on her hair!

People are funny and tourists are funnier still.

Christine Mouw
Assistant Curator
Herbert Hoover Presidential Library-Museum
West Branch, IA  52358

>>> Eugene Dillenburg <[log in to unmask]> 03/21/97 11:21am

A little humor for a Friday afternoon...

I heard a story, possibly apochryphal, about a small historic house in
Texas that had signs saying "After touching linens or pillows, WASH
HANDS
IMMEDIATELY with soap and water for five minutes.  AVOID CONTACT
WITH EYES
OR MOUTH."  Two visitors, after admiring the furnishings from a safe
distance, asked the docent what kind of chemical preservative they
used.
The docent laughed and said, "None.  We just weren't having too much
success with 'Please Do Not Touch' signs."

And a merry weekend to all.

-- Gene