From:
Cory Amsler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 May 1996 22:48:59 -0400

>Jeff Hyson
>Doctoral Candidate, Department of History
>Cornell University

In addition to the sources you cited for critical essays, etc. on U.S.
museum history, here are a couple other suggestions.  I have found some of
the writings by Michael Ettema and Steven Hamp of the Henry Ford Museum
particularly useful and provocative, e.g. one by Ettema, "History Museums
and the Culture of Materialism" in PAST MEETS PRESENT (Washington:
Smithsonian Institution Press, 1987).  Also, works by folklorist Simon
Bronner are interesting, e.g. FOLKLIFE STUDIES IN THE GUILDED AGE which
includes an introductory essay on the evolution of folklore and ethnographic
exhibits and collections, as well as period pieces by leading folklife
scholars, many museum-based, from the late 19th century.  Sorry, this latter
book is at the office so I don't have the complete citation.  There are so
many terrific works of this type that narrowing your reading list should
prove an interesting challenge.  Good luck.

Cory Amsler
Mercer Museum
Doylestown, PA