From:
Robert Guralnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 1994 12:15:20 PDT
>You are absolutely right. Another problem with Mosaic is its
>ONE-WAY nature. It can talk to you, but you cannot talk to
>(talk back to?) it. (Unlike the MUSEUM-L, for example!)

        Actually, that is not true.  People working on
Mosaic (the client) and the HTTP servers have already
implemented many two-way communication devices, especially
forms, which allow users to query databases, add information
into the server, and many many other very cool functions.  When
we first started working on our our "virtual museum", we
were worried about this too, and almost immediately developed
our guest book, which allows people to leave comments about the
server.  These comments are put right back into the server so that
all the people who sign are part of the "museum".
        A couple other quick points... the earliest version of
Mosaic for Windows was Slllloooowww, but those were VERY early
versions and the speed has improved greatly.  Remember, all the
Mosaic for Windows version have been alpha or beta test releases.
I find the newest versions of Mosaic blazingly fast, but maybe I
am just incredibly spoiled.  Also, the image quality on Mosaic
is quite good and I have figured out some nifty tricks to make
it optimals.  The point here is:  Mosaic has both its pluses
and minuses.  Do not be too swayed by "gung ho" people like myself
or self described luddites, but take a look for yourself... judge
what Mosaic can or cannot do.

Cheers,

Robert Guralnick   | Museum of Paleontology   | University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720 | [log in to unmask] | (510) 642-9696