From:
Gretchen Stelzel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2008 22:15:11 -0400
You are 100% in the right.  Staff members of a museum should never be directly involved in the appraisal of objects, meaning appraising the objects themselves or paying for the appraisals.  I'm not quite sure which musuem you work for but U.S. museums are actually prohibited by IRS regulation from appraising donated objects or in arranging appraisals of gifts for which donors receive income tax benefits.  This is not only to protect the museums but also to protect the donor from be investigated in cases of over-evaluations.  You should make it clear to your co-worders that the staff of your museums should stay objective in the case of appraisal, this means not paying for them.  The only role museum staff should play is to provide recommendations on appraisers.