Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 09:33:33 EST
Bethany, we are currently constructing the official Indiana Museum of Woodland
Native American Heritage on the original site of Prophetstown near Lafayette,
Indiana.   We developed The Prophetstown Council for Preservation of Great
Lakes Native American Culture, which is the country's largest cultural
consortium.  We now have 23 tribes cooperating with our project.

We are not going to use any historic or prehistoric objects in our exhibits at
the request of the tribes.   They all say that they can still make anything
that they ever made and that using new repllica objects in exhibits is the
best way of indicating to the visiting public that they have maintained their
culture.

As a result, we have a list of 40 tribal tradition bearers, who still make all
of the baskets, stone tools, clothing, cordage/woven materials, mats for
wigwams, etc. etc.  If the project is one which would honor Native People, I'm
sure they would cooperate.   Please contact me and discuss what you need.

Nick Clark, Executive Director
The Museums At Prophetstown, Inc.
22 N. Second St.
Lafayette, IN   47901