From:
"Ross Weeks Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Apr 1998 20:12:30 -0400
This is exactly on target.  For some types of museums, staffing has a whole
new complexion, for better or worse.  It is disconcerting that -- even as we
make the effort to improve compensation & working conditions for specialized
people who deserve better -- it won't be long before some are (in English
terms) "redundant"  to museums , just as Hodcarry's extremely skilled
carpenter became.  Far too many fine museums are struggling to stay afloat
in rough waters.

Here in Virginia, our new governor recommended Friday taking away 100% of
the state funding for all non-state museums, starting in 1999, the funds to
be diverted to a tax reduction plan.   Some truly excellent museums receive
50% or more of their operating resources from the state.  Other small
institutions are open only because of the state funding.

We've gone through a period of emphasizing and building up the "educational"
departments/staffs/programs of many museums.  Is the public interest in this
peaking?  I'd be interested in reactions to the hunch that sources of
funding for museum educational programs (and collaboration in them from the
'educational establishment') are on the wane.

Public investment in education is a matter of political choice.  Are we
non-governmental museums "included" in that choice, or are we actually a bit
of icing on the educational cake?