From:
Kit Matthew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:24:57 -0500
My colleagues and I have a panel at AAM this year featuring innovative use
of art in education and exhibits.  If you would like to have your
program/exhibit possibly featured in our handout for this session, please
send me in a FEW sentences:

1) the name of the program/exhibit
2) what are the outcomes
3) target audience(s)
4) how it reflects the museum's mission and strategic goals
5) what is innovative about it
6) name of person and contact information

Below is the summary of our session so you can see the approach we are
taking.  Not every suggestion can be featured in the handout (as it may
become too long!) but I would like as broad a representation as possible
FROM ALL MUSEUM DISCIPLINES.  This session is not focused just on collecting
institutions.

Please reply off-list to [log in to unmask]  Thank you!

Kit

Session Overview:

Art offers a strong platform for experiential learning whether or not an
institution is traditionally
based on collections and exhibitions of artworks. Museums are rethinking the
value and role of
art in education. Join panelists from museums with diverse missions and
approaches—fine art
museums and children’s museums-- in a two part exploration of how to use art
in unexpected
contexts and in open-ended approaches that provide (a) an easy entry into
the world of art, and
(b) a wide range of learning modalities and skill-building opportunities.

Attendees will: 1) obtain valuable frameworks through examples on how to
incorporate art into
their programs and exhibits that could be adapted for their own institutions
and communities; 2)
understand that successful paradigm shifts in using art are based on
knowledge of the audiences
and rooted in the unique value each museum can provide to its communities;
and 3) recognize
the importance of clarity about each museum’s educational strategic goals
and learning
approaches as platforms for creating new paradigms for art education. The
ultimate outcome is showcasing successful examples of art used in innovative
ways to foster experiential learning in many
contexts.