Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 23:51:48 EST
I have similar concerns to the ones stated about hiring within the museum.  I
have volunteered at the Gearge Eastman House, but now live in Houston, and am
trying hard to relocate to DC.  When I move there, I need a paying job (and am
mentally done interning).  It has been my experience that hiring for paying
positions has been done primarily internally.  This puts me at a disadvange
being that I am relocating to a new city.  I can't afford to work for free
because I am no longer in school.  I understand the reasons for hiring within,
but I am strongly against it.  There are many qualified, and motivated people
familiar with the intstitutions without having worked there previously.  It
would be a shame to limit the pool to just the few who already have a museum
position.

Heather McKay