From:
"Craig d`Arcy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 1996 16:20:53 GMT
Julia,

We recently went through the same problem, and explicitly decided NOT to
post signage.  Instead, our receptionist advised every visitor,
verbally; "The nature of the work in the exhibition _______ is
controversial and some visitors may find this exhibit offensive.  It may
be unsuitable for children."

We began the warnings three days into the show, because visitor feedback
and guest book comments indicated that it was a problem (not because of
the nudity, but because one group of grotesque figures reflected the
process of aging.)

By making the interaction personal, we did a pretty good job of turning
response around.  Of course, the problem then shifted to the religious
right, who objected to another portion of the exhibit where bibles were
"desecrated" (Actually they were folded origami-like)

Back to the good old label discussion... people often don't read... use
the "advisory" as one more tool to stimulate discussion, rather than
being put in the uncomfortable (and dishonest) position of
self-censoring.

My two cents

Craig d'Arcy
Executive Director
West Parry Sound District Museum

*** The opinions expressed herein are my own, and my instution damn well
better share them if they want to be right.***